It's the time of the year when many people are holding back on making a decision they really want to make. They are putting off filing for divorce until after the holidays. Nevertheless, they are still thinking about their options. If you find yourself considering the possibility of divorce, here are some things to think about until the holidays are past.
1. Counseling. It's never too late. Sometimes counseling for you will help alleviate the problems and stress. Sometimes couples counseling works, if both sides are willing. Sometimes the party who needs counseling won't recognize it. If you think it's your spouse who needs counseling, please consult with a counselor to discuss the situation.
2. If you are going to divorce, there are a number of process options. For a current review, see my blog post in the Texas Collaborative Law Blog here for the December 22, 2012 post.
3. What issues will come up in a divorce? Here are some to think about:
- Retirement funds
- Real estate
- Businesses owned by the parties
- Professional careers
- Personal property
- Household furniture and furnishings
- Child custody
- Child support