When a client meets with an attorney for the first time, the client is often stressed and emotional. That's natural. Many clients have later reported that they can't remember what was said or done at the meeting.
If you're that client, what can you do? There are several things you can try.
- Make a list of questions and issues before the meeting.
- Tell the attorney that you are nervous and may need help keeping everything straight.
- Make detailed notes of the discussion.
- Put away your phone so you aren't interrupted.
- Concentrate on the discussions we are having.
- Ask questions and get clarifications as you go.
- At the end, review the issues and answers with the attorney.